ISHM accepts various combinations of Education and Experience, putting you on the right path to advance your career.
ISHM accepts various combinations of Education and Experience, putting you on the right path to advance your career.


Full time professional safety and health management experience acceptable to ISHM requires position duties with 50% or greater safety and health management related activities.

Two years of part-time experience (25% or greater safety and health management related activities) may be substituted for one full time year.

Board Approved/ABET Programs

ISHM currently recognizes degree programs from a dozen higher education institutions in Alabama, West Virginia, Kentucky, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, Michigan, and Texas. And the list continues to grow each year. ISHM also accepts ABET-accredited EHS Programs, which currently includes more than 30 programs.

Students earning a Bachelor’s Degree from an approved institution only have to demonstrate two years of experience, instead of four, in order to sit for the CSHM exam. In addition, Application Fees are waived for those who apply within 6 months of graduation.

Safety Certificates

ISHM recognizes various safety, industrial hygiene, and occupational certificates from more than 25 organizations.


“Valid Government Issued Identification” is required for Certification.


ISHM also desires to partner with U.S. Veterans seeking employment in EHS fields where credentials are approved for reimbursement. Any eligible service member or veteran that qualifies for the Montgomery G. I. Bill, or VEAP, or Dependents Educational Assistance can send a copy of the test results along with your Reimbursement Application to the VA office that handles your education benefits. For more details on eligibility requirements and reimbursement procedures, visit the VA web site at or call 1-888-gibill-1.

Credentialing Opportunities On-Line:

Credentialing Opportunities On-Line (COOL) helps service members and veterans find information on certification and licenses related to their Military Occupational Specialties (MOSs). COOL explains how service members and veterans can meet civilian certification and license requirements and provides links to numerous resources to help get them started. Check out these sites: Army COOL,Navy COOL,Air Force COOL,Marine COOL.

There is a substantial need for talented and well trained individuals in the environmental, health and safety fields. Veterans and Active duty service members will find many opportunities that their skills can relate to and transfer over to the safety and health management area of certification and lead to employment.

Certification Criteria

Learn More
Get Our Newsletter in Your Inbox SUBSCRIBE
+ +